There are multiple ways to split a large PDF into separate files, including built-in tools, free methods, and paid, third-party tools.
The method you use should be determined by what you have access to, your needs, and how often you need to split or organize PDF files. If you work with PDFs once in a while, the built-in method may be sufficient, but if you work with PDFs on a daily or weekly basis, then you’ll probably want to look at a PDF editor that can give you more control over your document.
We’ll show you the best and easiest ways to split and rename a PDF into multiple files.
There are countless reasons why you may need to split a PDF. Common popular benefits include:
Splitting PDFs can be extremely useful, and with the right tool, it’s also very easy to do.
There are multiple ways to split and rename a PDF into multiple files. We've covered three of the best ways to split PDFs, including a free method, and our recommended favorite PDF splitter.
Did you know that you can split PDF pages into their own, separate PDF files for free using your web browser? For Windows users, you can use Microsoft’s virtual printer to split PDFs into multiple files.
Note: this method takes longer than the others, especially if you have a PDF with a large amount of pages, or you want to split a PDF many times. But unlike free, online PDF splitters, this method does not upload and store your PDF on a cloud, which is important if the PDF pages have confidential or private information.
1. Open the PDF file in the browser of your choice (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, etc.): Right-click PDF > Open with > [your browser]
2. Press the Print button.
3. Set the Printer to Microsoft Print to PDF.
4. Select the Custom Pages radio button, and enter the page (or page-range) that you’d like to split.
5. Press Print.
6. Name your new PDF, then press Save.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 until your PDF is split to your liking.
If you work with PDFs often, you’ll need an easy and reliable way to split and edit PDFs. We recommend PDF Pro, our all-in-one PDF editor, splitter, merger, converter, reader, and creator for Windows desktop.
1. In PDF Pro, Open the PDF that you want to split, then press the Create tab.
2. Press the Split file button.
3. Specify the Pages (page range) that you want to split , and the name of your new extracted PDF file, then press Split. (Tip: click the checkbox to remove pages from source document to save you time).
That's it! Repeat the steps above if your PDF needs to be split even more.
Adobe Acrobat DC is a popular PDF tool. While pricey ($179 US), it’s capable of splitting and renaming PDFs into multiple files.
There are countless reasons why you may need to split a PDF, and almost as many ways to split the PDF.
We’ve shown you our recommended PDF splitting tool: PDF Pro.
Our all-in-one PDF splitter, merger, editor, reader, and creator for Windows. Keep your private document off the cloud, and stay in control of your documents like never before. Instantly split and rename PDF pages with ease.
Just split a PDF? Find out what else you can do:
Download PDF Pro for free for 15 days or Buy Now!